Reporting to the Assistant General Manager, the Restaurant Manager is responsible for the successful management of all restaurant processes, personnel, motivate staff to provide excellent customer service and the overall operation of the restaurant.
The Palm Restaurant is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality food, beverages, and personalized service in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere.
Operational Excellence: In joining our team, you commit to supporting this mission by demonstrating our Service Standards at all times, and to holding all team members to the same. Providing a safe work environment of trust and respect free of harassment is expected.
Since 1926, when The Palm Restaurant first opened its doors in the heart of Manhattan, the company has been serving up legendary food and service. Today, The Palm operates multiple locations across the United States, all founded on one unchanging philosophy: treat guests like family, serve great food, and always exceed expectations. The Palm serves as a second home for countless patrons, who have contributed to shaping its legacy born out of speakeasy roots – where menus were unnecessary and high energy a given – into an atmosphere seen nowhere else. The Palm prides itself on cultivating talent, diversity, and a strong work ethic.
The Restaurant Manager is responsible for maintaining the restaurant’s revenue, profitability and quality goals. This role will ensure efficient restaurant operation, as well as maintain high production, productivity, and quality and customer-service standards.
As a team member of the Palm Restaurant Group, a Restaurant Manager must embrace our “Core Purpose”, embody “The Palm’s Values” (Loyalty, Honesty, Quality, Team Work, Dedication, Results, Generosity, and Respect), recognize and satisfy all Palm Restaurant Guests as well as be accountable to the Owners and Restaurant Managers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
All Palm Restaurant jobs require that you embody a positive company image by providing courteous, friendly and efficient service with a smile to customers and team members at all times.
In addition to your duties on the restaurant floor, every Restaurant Manager must obtain the necessary skills and have the ability to complete each of the following functions. These functions may change over the course of employment.
Functions include, but are not limited to the following areas:
Team Member Leadership & Development
• Must love and support their Team!
• Must love and take care of guest!
• Must say “Yes” and “Thank you” and “Smile” often!
• Serve as a role model and provide accessibility to staff while developing leadership and motivational skills. Exhibit efficiency in completing job requirements through working with a sense of urgency and consolidating tasks.
• Supporting programs to enhance staff morale and training, which includes writing of schedules.
• Promotes “The Palm” family culture
• Open minded to feedback.
• Maintains the process that provide first time guests with the same Palm experience than our most loyal repeat guests.
• Warmly greets and acknowledges guests upon arrival.
• Serve as assistant maitre d’ to meet or exceed each customer’s expectation of the Palm experience. Maintain standards for food, beverage, service and atmosphere while building positive customer relations. A minimum of four shifts or meal periods per week is required.
• Enthusiastically supports decisions once made by PMC & Management.
• Perform daily accounting and office management in accordance with company standards for accuracy, thoroughness and timeliness. These functions include daily reconciliation of previous day's receipts, preparation of mid-month and end-of-month financial packages for corporate office, checkbook control, generation of disbursements, accounts payable and receivable and gift certificates. Office management includes answering the telephone, coordinating guest reservations, daily banking, and maintaining office supply inventory and organization.
• Fulfill Human Resources management responsibilities, including new hire processing, maintenance of complete and accurate employee personnel files, payroll processing, administering 401(K) and health insurance plans, answering employment verification and agency referrals, and reporting required information to Palm Restaurant Group.
• nsure the security and safety of guests and team member through pro-actively managing sanitation, maintenance, security and prevention of injury from accidents.
• Develop and demonstrate an understanding of company standards in the areas of cost and quality controls, company values and the image of Palm Restaurants. Support management team and assist with execution of all Palm Restaurant Group initiatives and policies. Ensure adherence to all operational standards and policies.
• Assisting in local and national Marketing initiatives to drive sales in the Dining Room, Bar and PDR.
• Enthusiastically Support decision once they’ve been made by PRG and Management.
• Assist with food, beverage and operating supply purchasing, receiving, storage, and inventory management. Perform mid-month and end-of-month inventory counts.
• Demonstrate management and leadership ability through building effective relationships with customers, supervisors, staff, and purveyors.
• Provide assistance to the Executive Chef to ensure the highest quality foods and related supplies are purchased and properly received, stored, and accounted for.
• Work with the General Manager to develop an in-depth understanding of the restaurant’s monthly profit and loss statement, balance sheet, cash management, capital expenditures and budgeting.
• Managing or supporting Beverage Program. For example, complete beverage perpetual and ensure product is accounted for accurately and reconciled with sales and inventory reports. Manage and maintain wine list and cocktail program and all beverage related training.
• Follow proper procedures and guidelines for opening and closing the restaurant.
• Join and participate actively in one or more professional organization and become highly attuned to the local economic and competitive environment.
• Obtain and maintain current ServSafe.
• Fulfill any other function as assigned by GM, AGM, or Executive Chef.
Detail Oriented: Accuracy and attention to detail are imperative.
Commitment: Must demonstrate commitment to getting the job done. Hours will vary on a weekly basis based on workload and deadlines.
Working during weekends, holidays and peak business periods are required, including working any shift/day designated by The Assistant General Manager.
Education and Experience
An Associate’s Degree in Restaurant Management preferred.
Minimum 3 years of restaurant supervisory experience in a high volume operations of a comparable concept required or have successfully completed an internal management training program.
The physical demands will vary depending on area of study and, as described here, are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; sit; use hands to finger; handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, or lift heavy amount of weight up to 75 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance, color, and peripheral vision, and depth
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
People & Team Skills: Must have sufficient self-confidence, poise and interpersonal skills to be able to work effectively as part of a team and to take part in professional discussions. Also must be able to sustain performance under conditions of stress—such as tight deadlines and detailed questioning. Must demonstrate ability to be a team player and quick learner in a dynamic, fast-paced environment with varying levels of patrons and team member present.
Varying walking surfaces and working environments and equipment.
Varying levels of light sound, temperature and smoke.
This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that a Team Member in this position may be asked to perform from time to time. Based on business needs or Guest service objectives, you may also be asked to perform other duties or tasks.
It is imperative that a leader in the F&B department take an assertive stance in monitoring the performance of his/her team and operational systems. In response to key observations, he/she must be innovative and collaborative in driving departmental success.
Professional Development and Advancement
A Restaurant Manager may be considered for advancement to an Assistant General Manager position in the company. In order to gain the experience and training necessary to be considered for advancement in the company, tasks of an Assistant General Manager may be assigned for development purposes.
Must read, write and speak English fluently.
Ability to add, subtracts, multiply, and divide in all units of measure