The Palm Restaurant is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality food, beverages, and personalized service in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere.
Operational Excellence: In joining our team, you commit to supporting this mission by demonstrating our Service Standards at all times, and to holding all team members to the same. Providing a safe work environment of trust and respect free of harassment is expected.
Since 1926, when The Palm Restaurant first opened its doors in the heart of Manhattan, the company has been serving up legendary food and service. Today, The Palm operates multiple locations across the United States, all founded on one unchanging philosophy: treat guests like family, serve great food, and always exceed expectations. The Palm serves as a second home for countless patrons, who have contributed to shaping its legacy born out of speakeasy roots – where menus were unnecessary and high energy a given – into an atmosphere seen nowhere else. The Palm prides itself on cultivating talent, diversity, and a strong work ethic.
The Sous Chef is responsible for maintaining the restaurant’s kitchen revenue, profitability and quality goals. This role will assist the Executive Sous Chef and/or Executive Chef with the daily operations of the kitchen and provide professional leadership and direction to kitchen personnel. Ensure that all recipes, food preparations, and presentations meet restaurant’s specifications and commitment to quality. Maintain a safe, orderly and sanitized kitchen.
As a team member of the Palm Restaurant Group, a Sous Chef must embrace our “Core Purpose”, embody “The Palm’s Values” (Loyalty, Honesty, Quality, Team Work, Dedication, Results, Generosity, and Respect), recognize and satisfy all Palm Restaurant Guests as well as be accountable to the Owners and Restaurant Managers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
All Palm Restaurant jobs require ensuring a positive company image by providing courteous, friendly and efficient service with a smile to guests and team members at all times.
In addition to your duties on the kitchen, The Sous Chef will commit to fulfilling all essential functions of the job description consistently and relentlessly and must have the necessary skills and ability to complete each of the following functions. These functions may change over the course of employment.
Functions include, but are not limited to the following areas:
Team Member Leadership & Development
• Must love and take care of guests!
• Must say “Yes”, “Thank you” and “Smile” often!
• Maintains the process that provide first time guests with the same Palm experience than our most loyal repeat guests.
• Assists in training and certifying team members to company standards.
• Demonstrate management and leadership ability through building effective relationships with guests, supervisors, Team Members, and purveyors.
• Supporting programs to enhance staff morale and training.
• Must recognize team members when they excel in their position, and hold them accountable in a timely manner following company SOP guidelines when they do not meet performance expectations. All positive and improvement coaching’s must be tracked in the HR Software System.
Food Quality and Safety
• Maintain food quality.
• Must follow proper SOPs conducting line checks for every meal period.
• Accountable for food safety by maintaining the highest standards of personal hygiene, proper food handling techniques, proper labelling of perishables and monitoring of inventory not to exceed 36 hours from time of receiving the product and/or preparation, and a clean, well-maintained physical plant.
• Ensure kitchen staff follow all Palm standard recipes and portion servings correctly and according to menu specifications.
• Ensure that all recipes, food preparation methods, and plate presentations meet The Palm’s specifications and commitment to quality.
• Sous Chef will ensure “First in – First out” standards are adhered to.
• Able to successfully work Pantry, Sauté, Middle, Broiler, Helper, Dish, and Expo stations (Cook 1, 2 & 3 positions).
• Maintain all Palm quality standards, volume fluctuations, staff shortages, and physical plant limitations.
• Properly fill out daily prep sheets based on forecasted cover count.
• Must have a thorough understanding of all hardware & software systems that are used in the kitchen. This includes inventory, purchasing, scheduling, recipe control, scanning of invoices, email and electronic filing systems.
• Places food and supply orders as directed.
o Adhere to using company approved national vendors.
o Receives products and verifies invoice pricing, quantity, and that product meets Palm specifications.
o Purchasing based on forecasted cover count.
• Lead, supervise, manage, train and support the General Manager and Executive Chef through consistent communication, quality inspections, and “hands-on” attention to achieve:
o Budgeted food cost
o Expected inventory on hand
o Budgeted labor cost
o The highest standards of sanitation
o Compliance with all Palm standard operating policies and procedures
o High food quality ratings
• Takes an active role in developing and implementing daily specials that meet Palm standards.
• Obtain within 6 months or maintain current ServSafe certification or an equivalent based on state requirements.
• Compliance with all Palm standard operating policies and procedures
• Assisting in local and national Marketing initiatives to drive sales in the Dining Room, Bar and PDR.
• Enthusiastically supports decisions once they’ve been made by PMC and Management.
• Proficient in all restaurant systems.
• Fulfill any other function as assigned by Executive Chef, Executive Sous Chef, Assistant General Manager and General Manager.
Detail Oriented: Accuracy and attention to detail are imperative.
Commitment: Must demonstrate commitment to getting the job done. Hours will vary on a weekly basis based on workload and deadlines.
Working during weekends, holidays and peak business periods are required, including working any shift/day designated by General Manager.
• Knowledge of all applicable federal, state and local health and safety regulations.
• Ability to work with all products and food ingredients involved.
• Ability to plan and develop menus and recipes.
• Ability to ensure security of kitchen access and products.
• Ability to manage and resolve conflicts
• Ability to multitask.
• Ability to effectively deal with internal and external guests, some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact, diplomacy to defuse anger, collect accurate information and resolve conflicts.
• Ability to move throughout all food and beverage areas and continuously perform essential job functions.
• Proficient in all computer systems required to accurately do job or become proficient within 6 months.
• Ability to observe and distinguish product quality by smell, taste, and appearance.
• Understanding of local, state, and federal health and sanitation laws.
• Understanding of proper use and maintenance of major kitchen equipment, including stoves, refrigeration, slicer, knives, and dish machine.
• Team player with strong leadership skills.
• Enthusiastically supports decisions once they’ve been made by PMC and Management.
• Effective problem solving and ability to take direction.
• Proficient in reading and writing in English
• Able to frequently lift and carry food, beverage, and other items greater than 35 pounds and able to transport up to 70 pounds regularly.
Education and Experience
Degree or certificate from a Culinary Institute in Restaurant Management or Culinary Arts preferred.
Minimum two (2) years Culinary experience with a minimum of two (2) years restaurant supervisory experience in a high volume operations of a comparable concept required or have successfully completed an internal management training program.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the team member is regularly required to stand; sit; use hands to finger; handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The team member is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, or able to frequently lift and carry food, beverage, and other items greater than 35 pounds and able to transport up to 70 pounds regularly, work in hot and cold environments. Team member must be able to properly use kitchen equipment and tools to avoid accidents to themselves and other team members.
Ability to operate with stress, time constraints, physical activity and continuous walking in a high energy and demanding environment.
Ability to operate, clean and maintain all equipment required in job functions.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance, color, and peripheral vision, and depth.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
People & Team Skills:
Must have sufficient self-confidence, poise, charisma, and interpersonal skills to be able to work effectively as part of a team and to take part in professional discussions. Also must be able to sustain performance under conditions of stress—such as tight deadlines. Must demonstrate ability to be a team player and quick learner in a dynamic, fast-paced environment with varying levels of patrons and employees present.
Varying walking surfaces and working environments and equipment.
Varying levels of light sound, temperature and smoke.
This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that a Team Member in this position may be asked to perform from time to time. Based on business needs or Guest service objectives, you may also be asked to perform other duties or tasks.
It is imperative that a leader in the F&B department take an assertive stance in monitoring the performance of his/her team and operational systems. In response to key observations, he/she must be innovative and collaborative in driving departmental success.
Professional Development and Advancement
A Sous Chef must be able to successfully work as a Cook 3 to be considered for advancement in the company. A Sous Chef will have the opportunity for advancement to Executive Sous Chef or Executive Chef.
In order to gain the experience and training necessary to be considered for advancement in the company, tasks of an Executive Sous Chef or Executive Chef may be assigned for development purposes.
Sous Chefs will be expected to move laterally to other Palm Restaurants in order to gain the experience and training necessary to be considered for advancement in the company.
Must read, write and speak English fluently, to respond to guest requests and give direction to co-workers. Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
Professional oral and written communication skills.
Ability to add, subtracts, multiply, and divide in all units of measure