Under the direction of the General Manager, A Bartender needs to have a positive attitude and the ability to work well under pressure with bussers, cooks, server, server assistant and other staff.
The Palm Restaurant is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality food, beverages, and personalized service in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere.
Operational Excellence: In joining our team, you commit to supporting this mission by demonstrating our Service Standards at all times, and to holding all team members to the same. Providing a safe work environment of trust and respect free of harassment is expected.
Since 1926, when The Palm Restaurant first opened its doors in the heart of Manhattan, the company has been serving up legendary food and service. Today, The Palm operates multiple locations across the United States, all founded on one unchanging philosophy: treat guests like family, serve great food, and always exceed expectations. Owned and operated by members of the Bozzi and Ganzi families for over 90 years, The Palm serves as a second home for countless patrons, who have contributed to shaping its legacy born out of speakeasy roots – where menus were unnecessary and high energy a given – into an atmosphere seen nowhere else. The Palm prides itself on cultivating talent, diversity, and a strong work ethic.
A Palm Bartender is responsible for serving food and alcoholic beverages to guests at the bar quickly, efficiently, and with complete knowledge of food and beverage menus as well as prepare alcoholic beverages for servers at the service bar window. This role offers superior customer service, and maintains the station in a clean and orderly manner throughout shifts.
As a team member of the Palm Restaurant Group, a Bartender must embrace our “Core Purpose”, embody “The Palm’s Values” (Loyalty, Honesty, Quality, Team Work, Dedication, Results, Generosity, and Respect), recognize and satisfy all Palm Restaurant Guests as well as be accountable to the Owners and Restaurant Managers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
All Palm Restaurant jobs require that you embody a positive company image by providing courteous, friendly and efficient service with a smile to Guests and team members at all times.
The following are intended as basic requirements. Success will come to the individual who is able to expand upon these job requirements and truly “make it happen”. These requirements/functions may change over the course of employment.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following areas:
• Must love and take care of guests!
• Must have a passion for guests’ service.
• Must say “Yes”, “Thank you” and “Smile” often!
• Follows the process that provide first time guests with the same Palm experience than our most loyal repeat guests.
• Warmly greets and acknowledges bar guests within one minute of arrival, provides menus and takes food and/or beverage orders.
• Creates a lasting first and last impression.
• Multitasks in order to serve the needs of various guests at the same time.
• Recognizes regular guests.
• Tends to guests needs and special requests.
• Uses guests name throughout their dining experience.
• Effectively merchandizes food and beverage menus in an informative, friendly and enthusiastic manner.
• Prepares beverage orders for guests within two minutes of their order. Checks with guest(s) within two minutes after each beverage/course is delivered to them.
• Prepares the correct garnishes and fruit for cocktails.
• Attends all scheduled staff trainings and meetings unless otherwise approved by Manager.
• Responds to questions and suggestively sells by making food and beverage recommendations.
• Sets up, maintains, restocks side work, and closes bar and bar service window stations (e.g., glassware, ice, condiments, garnishes, liquor, bevnaps, cocktail straws, ashtrays, menus, etc.).
• Completes liquor requisition sheet in accordance with predetermined bar-par levels.
• Continually stocks bottled beer and wine.
• Stocks and cleans glassware through the operation and maintenance of the glass washer and sanitizer.
• Ensure the security and safety of guests and employees through pro-actively managing sanitation, maintenance, security and prevention of injury from accidents.
• Check identification of guests to verify they are of legal drinking age.
• Monitors and adjusts T.V. and lights in the lounge as needed.
• Continually cleans bar station by wiping down brass, service bar window, bar machinery and equipment, keeping floor clean and mopped, etc.
• Continually clears away any unwanted dishes, glasses, and/or debris from bar top and changes ashtrays after one butt.
• Requests and verifies proof of legal drinking age for all guests ordering alcoholic beverages who appear to be under the age of thirty.
• Rings up guest checks accurately and completely on POS system. Processes guests’ payments and provides accurate change.
• Discontinues alcoholic service and/or informs MOD of potentially intoxicated guests.
• Assist management in weekly and monthly liquor inventory or as requested by manager.
• Cashes out all Servers properly at end of shift.
• Accurately maintains Bar Bank.
• Demonstrates attention to detail by accurately taking guest orders.
• Engages with guests in a friendly and professional manner.
• Follows all health, safety, and sanitation policies.
• Maintains a clean, neat, and well-groomed appearance.
• Executes all Marketing promotions and special events.
• Must report to work on-time
• Must clock in at scheduled time and not before.
• All work must be performed while on the clock.
• Performs opening and closing side work.
• Use of proper phone etiquette to answer phones and take to go orders.
• Performs additional responsibilities, although not detailed, as requested by a Manager.
• Take direction from all salaried staff including, GM, AGM Restaurant Managers, Executive Chef, Executive Sous Chef, and Sous Chefs.
• Must go above and beyond for guests and other team members.
• Enthusiastically supports decisions once they’ve been made by PMC and Management.
• Extensive wine and liquor knowledge.
• Extensive knowledge of classic cocktails
• Complete knowledge of the menu, liquor, beer, wine, and recipes.
• Knowledge of federal, state, and local liquor laws
• Knowledge of, and adherence to, sanitation and safety laws.
• Food and beverage knowledge.
• Minimum age requirement of 21 years.
• Computer competency.
• Ability to take direction and collaborate in a team environment
• Ability to work in a high energy and demanding environment
• Experience providing excellent guest service in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to solve problems, and work calmly and effectively under pressure
• Strong self-motivation, leadership, and organizational skills
• Ability to stand and exert fast-paced mobility for entire shift
• Ability to transport up to 50 pounds on occasion and up to 35 pounds regularly
• Hours will vary on a weekly basis based on workload and deadlines.
• Have to be willing to work any days of the week; including nights, weekends and holidays or as agreed with management
• Positive interpersonal skills
Education and Experience
High school education and prior experience in a fine dining restaurant. Knowledge and education in mixology preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand and reach with hands and arms. The employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and talk or hear. Ability to bend, squat, kneel, reach, stretch and climb without any difficulty. The employee is constantly required to walk and occasionally required to sit.
Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds without difficulty.
People & Team Skills: Must have sufficient self-confidence, poise and interpersonal skills to be able to work effectively as part of a team and to take part in professional discussions. Also must be able to sustain performance under conditions of stress—such as tight deadlines and detailed questioning. Must demonstrate ability to be a team player and quick learner in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
Professional Development and Advancement
A Bartender may be considered for advancement to an entry level management position in the company. In order to gain the experience and training necessary to be considered for advancement in the company, tasks of a Restaurant Manager may be assigned for development purposes.
Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
Ability to interact verbally and listen attentively to guest, co-workers, and supervisors.