Assistant General Manager
Reporting to the General Manager, the Assistant General Manager is responsible for the successful management of all restaurant processes, personnel, motivate staff to provide excellent customer service and the overall operation of the restaurant.
The Palm Restaurant is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality food, beverages, and personalized service in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere.
Operational Excellence: In joining our team, you commit to supporting this mission by demonstrating our Service Standards at all times, and to holding all team members to the same. Providing a safe work environment of trust and respect free of harassment is expected.
Since 1926, when The Palm Restaurant first opened its doors in the heart of Manhattan, the company has been serving up legendary food and service. Today, The Palm operates multiple locations across the United States, all founded on one unchanging philosophy: treat guests like family, serve great food, and always exceed expectations. The Palm serves as a second home for countless patrons, who have contributed to shaping its legacy born out of speakeasy roots – where menus were unnecessary and high energy a given – into an atmosphere seen nowhere else. The Palm prides itself on cultivating talent, diversity, and a strong work ethic.
The Assistant General Manager is responsible for maintaining the restaurant’s revenue, profitability and quality goals. This role will ensure efficient restaurant operation, as well as maintain high production, productivity, and quality and customer-service standards. Provide 100% support and commitment to the General Manager in regards to strategy, policies, procedures, guests, staff, and purveyors in attaining budgeted goals and sales growth. Assume the role and requirements of the Training Manager for hourly staff and salaried managers of the restaurant. Responsible for entire operation in General Manager’s absence.
As a team member of the Palm Restaurant Group, an Assistant General Manager must embrace our “Core Purpose”, embody “The Palm’s Values” (Loyalty, Honesty, Quality, Team Work, Dedication, Results, Generosity, and Respect), recognize and satisfy all Palm Restaurant Guests as well as be accountable to the Owners and Restaurant Managers.
Essential Duties, Skills and Responsibilities
All Palm Restaurant jobs require that you embody a positive company image by providing courteous, friendly and efficient service with a smile to customers and team members at all times.
In addition to your duties on the restaurant floor, every Assistant General Manager must obtain the necessary skills and have the ability to complete each of the following functions. These functions may change over the course of employment.
Functions include, but are not limited to the following areas:
Team Member Leadership and Development
- Must love and support their TEAM!
- Must love and take care of guests!
- Must say “Yes”, “Thank you” and “Smile” often!
- Must recognize team members when they excel in their position, holding them accountable in a timely manner following company
- SOP guidelines when they do not meet performance expectations. All positive and improvement coaching’s must be tracked in the HR Software System.
- Serve as maître d’ to meet or exceed each customer’s expectation of The Palm experience. Maintain standards for food, beverage, service and atmosphere while building positive customer relations. Help in executing mandatory table visits.
- Participate in mentoring and development of Restaurant Managers.
- Serve as a role model and provide accessibility to all management and staff for open communication, leadership, direction and motivation. Exhibit efficiency in completing job requirements through working with a sense of urgency, consolidating tasks, delegating and empowering others while managing their efforts.
- Supporting programs to enhance staff morale and training, which includes writing of schedules.
- Promotes “The Palm” family culture
- Open minded to feedback.
- Maintains the process that provide first time guests with the same Palm experience than our most loyal repeat guests.
- Warmly greets and acknowledges guests upon arrival.
- Enthusiastically supports decisions once made by PMC and Management.
- Supervise operations to achieve targeted goals for food and beverage costs. Support the Executive Chef with product management including: food-handling practices, waste control, ordering, receiving, and setting pars and sales forecasting.
- Comply with company standards in the areas of cost and quality controls, company values and the image of Palm Restaurants.
- Support and fully execute all Palm Restaurant Group initiatives and policies with continuous improvement to operating efficiencies. Ensure adherence to all operational standards and policies.
- Managing or supporting Beverage Program. For example, complete beverage perpetual and ensure product is accounted for accurately and reconciled with sales and inventory reports.
- Manage and maintain wine list and cocktail program and all beverage.
- Proficient in all restaurant hardware & software systems that are used. This includes inventory, purchasing, forecasting, labor Performa, Performa updates, scheduling, clock in and out times, email and electronic filing systems.
- Assisting in local and national Marketing initiatives to drive sales in the Dining Room, Bar and PDR.
- Exhibit in-depth understanding of the restaurant’s monthly profit and loss statement and be prepared to answer any questions from management regarding current costs and expenses.
- Participate in annual budgeting process and monitor budgets and capital expenditures throughout the year.
- Understand and have working knowledge of all daily accounting functions and the supporting computer systems.
- Supervise front and back of house staff hiring and training, including pre-shift meetings. Demonstrate management/leadership ability and motivational skills. Execute all corporate training programs and serve as mentor to new assistant managers.
- Participate in payroll management to ensure budgeted labor goals are met while maintaining standards for products and service.
- Work with the General Manager to develop an in-depth understanding of the restaurant’s monthly profit and loss statement, balance sheet, cash management, capital expenditures and budgeting.
- Ensure food, beverage and operating supply competitive purchasing, receiving, storage and inventory management is conducted in accordance with company standards.
- Continually investigate, negotiate and implement cost saving measures to maximize restaurant profitability.
- Ensure the security and safety of guests and team member through pro-actively managing sanitation, maintenance, security and prevention of injury from accidents.
- Demonstrate ability to adapt and adjust readily to fast moving, ever changing circumstances and utilize problem solving skills and resourcefulness to solve situations.
- Join and participate actively in one or more professional organization and become highly attuned to the local economic and competitive environment.
- Obtain and maintain current ServSafe.
- Enthusiastically supports decisions once they’ve been made by PMC and Management.
- Fulfill any other function as assigned by GM
- Detail Oriented: Accuracy and attention to detail are imperative.
- Commitment: Must demonstrate commitment to getting the job done. Hours will vary on a weekly basis based on workload and deadlines.
- Working during weekends, holidays and peak business periods are required, including working any shift/day designated by General Manager.
Education and Experience
An Associate’s Degree in Restaurant Management preferred.
Minimum 4 years of restaurant supervisory experience in a high volume operations of a comparable concept required or have successfully completed an internal management training program.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
People and Team Skills: Must have sufficient self-confidence, poise, charisma, and interpersonal skills to be able to work effectively as part of a team and to take part in professional discussions. Also must be able to sustain performance under conditions of stress—such as tight deadlines and detailed questioning. Must demonstrate ability to be a team player and quick learner in a dynamic, fast-paced environment with varying levels of patrons and team member present.
Varying walking surfaces and working environments and equipment.
Varying levels of light, sound, temperature and smoke.
This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that a Team Member in this position may be asked to perform from time to time. Based on business needs or Guest service objectives, you may also be asked to perform other duties or tasks.
It is imperative that a leader in the F&B department take an assertive stance in monitoring the performance of his/her team and operational systems. In response to key observations, he/she must be innovative and collaborative in driving departmental success.
Professional Development and Advancement
An Assistant General Manager may be considered for advancement to a General Manager position in the company. In order to gain the experience and training necessary to be considered for advancement in the company, tasks of a General Manager may be assigned for development purposes.
Assistant General Managers will be expected to move laterally to other Palm Restaurants in order to gain the experience and training necessary to be considered for advancement in the company.
Must read, write and speak English fluently.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure